Tajumulco (or stumbling my way up to the tallest point in Central America)
So there we were, sitting in the offices of Quetzaltrekkers, a non-profit treking company here in Xela. They had an overnight trip leaving to Tajumulco on Saturday at 4:45 am (it was Friday at noon). Why not? We thought, it can´t be that hard... two things you should know at this point: a) Tajumulco is the highest peak in Central America at 4220 meters or about 14,000 ft. and b) I had been hacking up a lung for about 4 days. But how could we resist the adventure?By the way, Quetzaltrekkers is a very cool organization that is run entirely (not one paid employee) by volunteers. They commit to 3 months of guiding trips and pay for almost all of their living expenses out of pocket. The money they raise goes to support Escuela de la Calle (school of the street) which provides education for poor kids who would otherwise be unable to go to school. So far this year they have raised Q480,000 for the school, which is about $65,000.

I guess it was just one of those moments where you know you will suffer, but also know that the rewards will be worth it. We started out with several bus rides to about 3000m. The last one was crammed full with at least 77 people on a chicken bus. I got off with grumbly tummy I attributed to motion sickness. It was cloudy and cold with little visibility for the spectacular views we had been promised. As we got higher I felt sicker until I could only walk for about 10 minutes before I had to stop and take a break to catch my breath. We arrived at a chilly and damp camp and ate slimy undercooked pasta for dinner. Things were not looking good at this point.

The next morning we woke up at 4:00 to climb the last 200 ft to the summit. It was cold, but clear and my hopes were high. Then we began to climb. I felt awful. Dizzy, weak and painfully slow. I soon resumed my post at the back of the lineof our group of 32 people. It was even worse than the day before. I had to stop evey 3 or 4 minutes and rest. Yet somehow I knew I would make it, the slowly lightening sky and the thought of Kevin already there at the front of my mind.
After an excruciatingly slow hour I finally made it. It was amazing and amazingly cold. Was I really in Guatemala? I had on everything I owned and could barely feel my fingers in theborrowed wool gloves I wore. But it was still worth it. Every damn step. I was sitting on top of the world, watching the sun light up and erupting volcano and the coast of the pacific in the distance. The hike down was gorgeous with amazing views and my breath coming easier with every step. We ended it all with the best chicken bus ride I´ve had, complete with a special CD just for us Gringos playing (loudly) on the stereo. It was just too much to listen to Lady in Red, Love Hurts and Hotel California as we decended the mountain.
Even better, the next day found us at Fuentes Georginas, amazing hot springs in a jungly setting. We soaked our sore legs in the largest hotspring I have ever seen. The pool is so deep you can dive into it! I am still hacking up a lung, but got some medicine today and hope to be better soon.We miss you all and wonder how things are at home (hint hint to those of you we haven´t heard from ;) love c


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home